Now, let me get into the shenanigans this semester has cooked up for me. Satit Bangna was undergone a lot of changes this semester including the departure of four American teachers. Emily, Nathan and myself are currently the only three American teachers so we got a heavier load of classes this semester, but so far we have been able to handle it. My biggest challenge so far has been teaching 80 minute long math periods to first graders. It is exhausting and by the end of 80 minutes I find myself a little defeated. Those kids have much more energy than I do! Expecting six year olds to sit for 80 minutes is just outrageous especially considering about four of them have no idea what English even is. The girls in the class are little angels, but the boys are a handful! As I have mentioned many times before though it is so hard to stay upset with these kids though because they are just so cute. I will have to take some pictures of the new first graders soon! They have some good nicknames too my favorite is a girl named Mameow. It cracks me up every time.
My first graders from last semester have now graduated to the second grade and something happened to these children over the summer because they are wonderful little students this year! I have always been slightly obsessed with the kids because they are great at English and Math and all have very strong personalities. I get to teach them eight periods a week and they are definitely some of my favorite classes! They will be without a doubt very hard to leave.
Another very very exciting thing this semester is that my office has air conditioning (air con as the Thais say) and so does every classroom I teach in! It sounds so simple, but this makes my day about 10 points better.
This week all Thai schools have what is called Wai Kru day. Kru means teacher and a wai (why) is the bow Thais give each other as a form of respect. Thai students are expected to wai to their teachers every morning and at the end of each day. So wai kru day is a day for students to honor teachers. We have been told students give teachers flowers, but I will let you know more after it happens on Thursday.
The weekends have been really fun lately and the protests in Bangkok have stopped so it is now safe to return! Thank goodness, I was getting worried about not being able to go into the city this semester.
Hope everyone is well at home! My tentative return date to America is set for Oct. 2oth. Just in time for Halloween festivities :)
No comments:
Post a Comment